Biosimilar insulin – what does it mean for people with diabetes?
Biosimilar products are approved copies of biological medicines and can be developed once the patents for the original reference product has expired. The first biosimilar insulin was introduced into the UK market in 2015 and more are to be introduced in the next year. Biosimilar insulin is marketed at a lower cost than the original product. What will the introduction of more insulin products including biosimilar insulin mean for the person living with diabetes? This session will describe biosimilar insulin, and discuss the advantages and disadvantages related to their use when offered to people living with diabetes.
Following this session, you will be able to:
- Describe what a biosimilar insulin is
- Identify new products being introduced into the UK market in 2018
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using a biosimilar insulin
- Consider advice that needs to be given to an individual commencing or being transferred to a biosimilar insulin
- Consider the safety impact of adding more insulin products to the UK market
Thursday 15th November 2018
15:10 - 15:50
TREND-UK & Injection Technique Theatre