Hands-on help with injection technique at TREND-UK Theatre
A DPC2018 conference theatre will again be dedicated to practical workshops on best practice injection technique and interactive sessions on other vital aspects of diabetes care.
Aimed primarily at helping nurses to support their patients with diabetes, the two-day TREND-UK & Injection Technique Theatre programme will be run by three highly experienced nurses from TREND-UK, an organisation representing all nurses working in diabetes care. They are:
- Debbie Hicks, Nurse Consultant – Diabetes, Barnet, Enfield & Haringey MHT; Co-Chair TREND-UK and Chair FIT UK
- Jill Hill, Independent Diabetes Nurse Consultant, TREND-UK
- June James, Nurse Consultant – Diabetes, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust; Associate Professor, University of Leicester; Co-Chair, Trend UK
The theatre’s workshops will include:
- Principles of blood glucose monitoring: what, where, how? With more than 85 blood glucose monitoring systems in the UK, June James will guide participants through the different systems and how results differ, and provide an updated on new systems.
- Alcohol, smoking and illicit drugs, and the impact on diabetes. Debbie Hicks will explore the effect these substances have on glycaemic control and share advice to help keep people with diabetes who undertake this behaviour safe.
- Frailty and dementia care for people with diabetes. Jill Hill will consider the impact of diabetes on the ageing process and the impact of ageing on diabetes self-management, and help participants understand the risk of hypoglycaemia in older people with diabetes and ways to reduce the risk.
Other sessions will focus on optimum injection technique, including:
- Injection technique practical
- Good injection technique and lipo palpation
- Insulin administration training – for non-specialists
Visit the DPC website for further information on all sessions in the TREND-UK & Injection Technique Theatre, and other updates to the conference programme.
To reserve your free place at DPC2018, please register here.