Empowering self management
We try to give participants a flavor of the 3-day Knuston Hall Diabetes Counselling and Empowerment Course in 60 minutes.
We encourage a workshop atmosphere with audience participation to help learning.
We consider who holds the responsibility for diabetes care – is it the patient or the professional?
Two exercises to help understanding of active listening.
We describe the Empowerment process, focusing on the need to address feelings and why people are afraid to open a can of worms.
We examine what is needed to provide person-centered care.
If time allows, we will consider how people with diabetes can make their lives better and how as professionals we can influence that process.
- Understand where the responsibility for diabetes care lies.
- Be aware of the five stages of the empowerment programme.
- Know the core conditions needed for person-centered care.
- Feel confident to address the feelings of your patient.
- Understand the process of helping a person decide how they could improve their life.