Person-centred care and empowerment
We try to compress the 3 day Knuston Hall Diabetes Counselling and Empowerment Course in 60 minutes, using a workshop atmosphere to help learning. Who holds the responsibility for diabetes care – is it the patient or the professional? Two exercises to help understand what is meant by active listening. We will explain the Empowerment process and the importance of addressing feelings. Why are people afraid to open a can of worms? What is person-centred care and how do we achieve it? How can people with diabetes make their lives better and how as professionals can we influence that process?
By the end of the session you will:
- Understand where the responsibility for diabetes care lies.
- Be aware of the five stages of the empowerment programme.
- Know the core conditions needed for person-centred care.
- Feel confident to address the feelings of your patient.
- Understand the process of helping a person decide how they could improve their life.